Twisted Fairy Tales
Submissions now open for the 2021 Anthology!
We are very proud to launch our fourth annual Share Your Story Writing Competition.
Please submit either a complete short story up to 1500 words (no first chapters or to be continued…) or a poem of no more than 650 words. The theme is ‘twisted Fairy Tales’ and our judges are looking for creative, engaging stories or poems that will appeal to children aged 5 to 10 years old. We would love you to have the chance to be published in our next anthology, which raise funds for Life’s Little Treasures Foundation.
From the Judges
A fairy tale is a fictional story that may feature folkloric characters and enchantments, often involving a far-fetched sequence of events. We are looking for fairy tale and nursery rhyme twists, with very similar plots, characters, and motifs as the original but altered to be funny and quirky. When you are writing, please remember to consider your target audience is children, and specifically older brothers and sisters of premature babies. There can still be a moral lesson, but bonus points for making us laugh.
You can enter as many times as you like however all work must be original.
School students are more than welcome to enter.
The best entries will be included in an anthology entitled “Once Upon a Whoops!: Twisted Fairy Tales and Ridiculous Nursery Rhymes” and will be launched in September to coincide with Life’s Little Treasures Little Readers Readathon and Sibling Storytime.
$30 per entry
On submission of the below form you will be redirected to PayPal so you can pay the entry fee. Alternatively, please click here.
Direct Deposit Details on Request.
Entries open on 1st January 2021 and close at 9pm on 30th April 2021
- Entries must be submitted by the below form or emailed to Michelle Worthington at email@example.com.
- Please include your name, address, contact phone number and title of your entry in the body of the email.
- If you are under 18, please include your age, Grade and School name in the body of the email.
- Attach your entry as a Word doc. Please include the title of your entry, your name and email address in the header of each page and page numbers in the footer.
- International entries are welcome, but must be in English.
- Don’t include illustration notes.
- If you are offered publication in the anthology, you must agree to have your work professionally edited if required, at no charge to you, with changes made at the editor’s discretion.
- Authors retain full copyright on work.
- The judges decision will be final. No sooking or they will turn you into a toad.
About Life’s Little Treasures Foundation
Australia’s foremost charity dedicated to providing support, friendship and information, specifically tailored for families of premature or sick babies.
The Foundation’s services are available in hospitals (neonatal and special care units) and in the community when families come home.
Having a child that is sick or premature can be a very traumatic rollercoaster ride and the Foundation strives to give families the support and assistance they need.
The launch will coincide with the Little Readers Read-a-thon and Sibling Storytime in September and Walk for Prems in October in states all over Australia.